Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Fan League Update

I finally got my first win in the FFMVP Fan League on ESPN, and it was a big one because it was against the first place fan, Trevor from Jacksonville. I was helped in large part by Beanie Wells' surprise inactive status. It's one thing to start Peyton Manning or Miles Austin, but if you started Wells, Peyton Hillis, or Antonio Gates, it's understandable and unfortunate. The negative points I got from Kenny Britt were counterbalanced by 35 points from Wes Welker, and my second highest scorer - Jason Hanson with 17 points. This week, I've dropped the Dallas D for the Houston D because I'm counting on more mistakes from Big Ben's Bad Line. I also had to drop Kenny Britt for Torrey Smith - a bit of a downgrade. 

Our very own Kevin is the only undefeated team despite the general suckiness of his first round pick, Chris Johnson, thanks to a favorable early schedule. Even though Kevin is the only 3-0 team, he has the tenth most points out of the 12 teams in the league. Incidentally, Trevor still has the most points in the league. It just goes to show you how much scheduling can affect your fantasy success. I'm of the mindset that these things tend to correct themselves. If you have a ton of points but you're somehow 0-3, you'll probably win more games going forward, and those points will break ties to get you into the playoffs.

Our favorite podcaster and Reggie Bush Fan Club President, Cory, beat Jose from San Jose by literally .1 points (90.4-90.3). Cory needed 9.1 points out of Tony Romo to win and that is exactly what Romo got. The game ended with Romo taking a knee, which gave him -1 rushing yards. If the stat-trackers had credited that final play as -2 rushing yards it would have been a tie. Moreover, if Coach Shanahan had used his timeout after the knee, Romo would have had to take another knee, crushing Cory's dreams. Anyway, that's what makes Monday Night Football the most thrilling experience for us fantasizers!

This week, I'll face the 1-2 Jose. He's helped by the fact that Cedric Benson will play against the Bills on Sunday after all. But I'm helped by the fact that Jose has Antonio Gates, who is likely out. I'm starting Tony Gonzalez but could swap in Aaron Hernandez if his miraculous recovery comes to fruition. Good luck on Sunday, fans!

4 comments:

Trevor said...

Congrats on the win. good league so far

Trevor said...

Rest of year.. Sims-walker or Amendola?

Brett said...

That's pretty close, but I'd go Amendola. MSW had a very promising Week 2 against the Giants, where I thought he could step into the number one role. But with MSW, Danario Alexander, Brandon Gibson, and Amendola, I'm no longer confident that any one WR is going to step up and be elite this year. But Amendola should have solid flex value pretty soon, and he'll be a good bet for 6 catches a game.

Jose said...

Noooooooooooo!!! I'll get you, Cory... if it's the last thing I do!!!

Post a Comment